Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Soma! What's That?

For starters, Soma is the happiness giving drug thought of by Aldus Huxley in "A Brave New World" though the word seems to have Indian origins. However, Soma is not just a drug. It represents the eternal desire of humans to be happy forever, or rather have their emotions in their control. Isn't that what the sages of hinduism set out to acheive? Ironically using this very drug of a utopian society and its effects does Huxley convey to us how disastrous it would be if such a feat is acheived. Nonetheless, it is the desire of things like Soma that keeps us alive and gives meaning to our lives. Hence I wonder if there are some goals in life that should be left unacheived. In fact I wonder if that's what life's all about? Fighting and struggling all life and in the end submitting to something as inevitable as death. So what's the point? To be true, I don't know! I wrote this only because everything seems so absurd from this angle, i.e. do we live only to die in the end? Then why do we worry about so many petty things(grades in my case and salary in the case of my friend) in life? I don't know, but a few grams of Soma at this point won't harm!

No comments: